Image Map

Monday, December 30, 2013

Black and Gold

Black and gold have seemed to be my color staples this holiday season.  The combo is totally classic, with just the right amount of pizazz, perfect to carry over into January.  Here are a few styling ideas for you:

I wore this first outfit to dinner with friends on Friday night.  These charcoal skinnies were perfect with my black Sperry flats (it happened to be 60 degress that day...in NEBRASKA!), a loose fitting black top and my favorite JCrew leopard print scarf, which I transformed into an infinity by knotting it in back.  Totally comfy and cute for a fun night out, and great for school as well!


Pants: LOFT (available here)
Black top: LOFT (similar here)
Leopard Print Scarf: JCrew (similar here)
Sparkle toe flats: Sperry (available here, similar here)
Cute puppy: You can't have her!

As soon as I spotted this black and gold damask print dress in LOFT's holiday mailer, I knew it would be perfect for a December wedding.  I added a black cardigan, gold belt, black opaque tights and the same Sperry flats for Saturday night's reception.  I could wear this dress again on New Year's Eve, or another fancy event this winter.

We clean up well, don't we? :) 


This dress in no longer available online, but I know we still have it in stock in the LOFT store I work at, so be sure to stop into your local store soon if you love it!

This is another fun outfit idea for a winter get together, or a day in the classroom.  I think it is definitely a must to have a few "stand-out" pieces in your closet to go along with your wardrobe staples.  For those blah January days when I need a "wow" piece to brighten my mood, I know I'll reach for this gold sequin shoulder striped sweater first!  I paired it with a wardrobe staple, a chambray button down, and jeans.  When I go back to school next week, I plan to wear this same outfit with a pair of black skinnies and leather riding boots.  Or, add a pop of color by pairing the sweater and button down with red or plum colored pants. 


Find the sweater here, and a similar chambray top here.

The great thing about this sweater is it requires minimal jewelry, but I did add a pair of simple gold studs and a mix of gold and black bracelets.


I hope you gained a few great ideas today to carry over into your January wardrobe.  I plan to be back on Wednesday with more fashion inspiration for the new year.  Find me on Facebook, Pinterest, Blog Lovin and Instagram.
Happy 2014, fashionistas!

post signature

1 comment: